Welcome to the St James newsletter. The newsletter will be published on a regular basis to share important news, key dates and celebrate our students’ latest achievements with you.
Modern Foreign Languages Hub Update
Key Stage 3 pupils:
- The Spelling Bee has launched this term with Year 7! We look forward to working with students on this.
- Year 8 pupils should look out for more information about the Translation Bee – they will be hearing about this in their future Spanish lessons!
Key Stage 4 pupils:
- The Discovery Programme has been launched for Year 10 in conjunction with the University of Exeter. Selected students will be receiving invitation letters this week – we look forward to receiving lots of replies!
- Languages in a Global World: The University of Exeter is facilitating a talk with BBC journalist Frank Gardner, who read Arabic and Islamic Studies at Exeter. The talk is called ‘Languages in a Global World’ and will take place on Friday 10th January from 4.30-5.30. It is open to pupils in Y9, 10, 11. Students should let MFL teachers know if they are interested in attending.
- ExePress Writing competition: The University of Exeter’s online language magazine, The Language Exepress, is running a writing competition in English, open to all GCSE pupils, studying any language. They are invited to write an essay of a maximum 500 words in English with the title: Choose a celebration in a culture you are familiar with and explain its values. Winners will be chosen based on analysis and creativity in their writing and will receive a £30 Amazon voucher. Two runners up will receive a £20 voucher. Each prize winner will be awarded an official certificate and will have their article published in the University of Exeter’s online magazine website. The deadline for submissions is 30th November. Students need to send their article to Chatburn@exeter.ac.uk and make sure they remember to mention that they attend St James!
The co-curricular timetable has been updated for this term and can be found here. There are a wide range of activities and clubs, please encourage students to get involved!
Girl’s Football Tournament
On Wednesday 6th November we travelled to West Exe School for our second girls’ football tournament of the school year. The girls played brilliantly; we won 3 games, drew one and lost one. Our team consisted of seven players: Lexie Watts, Marybeth Gilbert, Faith Howard, Charlotte Robinson, Emily Chan and Lieselotte Scholpp. Our top goal scorer was Lexie Watts, who scored six goals throughout the whole tournament!
Duke of Edinborough Award news
46 students from year 9 and 10 have now completed their Bronze DofE expedition. The practice expedition took place along the South West Coastal path starting in Tipton St John and finishing in Sidmouth. They camped overnight at Pooh Cottage in Budleigh Salterton and had to pitch their own tents and cook their own food. The weather had been horrible during the week but we were very lucky with the weather that weekend.
The qualifying expedition took place 2 weeks later along the Tarka Trail in North Devon starting in Braunton and finishing in Woolacombe. The students camped in Georgeham and all students successfully completed their expedition. We did the expedition with Cranbrook school so Mr Milverton and Mr Jordan assessed the St James’ teams and Mrs Thornton assessed the Cranbrook teams. Again we were lucky with the weather although it got very cold in the evening and sleeping in tents overnight. Many thanks to all the staff who helped.
A Grand Donation
St James have been extremely fortunate to have been donated a lovely grand piano. The kind members of Chudleigh Parish made the donation to our very lucky music department. A special mention to Graham Sharland (and father) who found the piano and very kindly helped move it from Chudleigh to St James, as well as the van driver who has now moved 2 pianos this year: no mean feat.
Keira Jeffery, year 7, has been riding since age 6, she competes in show jumping and dressage and more recently eventing. She is part of Pony Club and British Show Jumping Devon Academy. Pictures attached are from recent competitions. Keep your eyes posted for future news on Kiera’s competitions and successes!
You can find the program of sports fixtures for the term here.
Important Dates for your Diary
- 21st November – Year 9 Parents’ Evening
- 5th December – Year 11 Parents’ Evening
- 20th December – Last day of autumn half term
Please note there have been some changes to dates next year.
- 27th February – Year 11 Awards Evening
- 12th March – Year 11 Parents’ Evening