A Young Carer is a child under 18 who regularly helps to look after a family member or friend who is disabled, ill, has a mental health condition or addiction problem.
Children may engage in:
- Practical tasks (cooking, housework and shopping);
- Physical care (lifting or helping someone use the stairs);
- Personal care (dressing, washing, helping with toilet needs);
- Managing the family budget (collecting benefits and prescriptions);
- Managing medication;
- Looking after younger siblings; and,
- Helping someone communicate.
St James School supports its young carers. If you, or a family member, need support please contact your Young Carers School Operational Lead, Mrs Tracey Chamberlain, email@example.com
All contact will be treated in the strictest confidence.