This year our open evening is on Thursday 7th October from 6pm to 8pm. You are welcome to come along and sample many of the things St James has to offer. There will be a talk by Miss Lindsay Skinner, Headteacher, at 6pm and 7pm, with the rest of the time free for you to take a guided tour of the school or to tour the school at your own leisure. All subjects that are offered will have staff and students ready to talk to you and the more practical subjects such as Science, Food Technology, Art and PE will have demonstrations your child can get involved with.
If you would like to look around St James during the school day, you are welcome to join our open morning tours. All the information for these are below.
We look forward to welcoming you and showing you around our fantastic school.
- Mon 27th September Willowbrook
- Tues 28th September St Sidwells
- Weds 29th September Whipton Barton
- Thurs 30th September Exwick Heights
- Fri 1st October Exwick Heights
- Mon 4th October Stoke Hill
- Tues 5th October Stoke Hill
- Weds 6th October Pinhoe, St David’s and Ladysmith
- Thurs 7th October Open Evening
- Fri 8th October Other schools
Tour start times: 8.40am, 9am, 9.35am and 9.55am.
St James School is a multicultural community with high academic standards that celebrates and promotes the arts. To book in for a tour please contact Sharon Crump on Transition@stjamesexeter.co.uk
We are excited to welcome you on a virtual tour of St James. Please take you time, from the comfort of your own home, to look around our fantastic facilities and subject specific classrooms. Keep an eye out for some of our amazing staff who will be there to welcome you to your lessons. Click here for our interactive map.
Our pledge to you and your child
- We will listen to you and your child to make sure they have the best possible transition between their primary school and St James
- We will ensure you are fully informed and have a dedicated transition team and email address so that you can contact us anytime with any questions you may have.
- Your child will receive a copy of ‘Wonder’ to read over the summer holiday and explore during their English lessons in September.
- Your child will have the opportunity to write to their new tutor, to introduce himself or herself and share their hobbies, strengths and worries so these can be addressed and celebrated within their first half term at St James.
- Your child will have an introductory online Maths and Science summer transition package which they will continue to use in their lessons at St James.
- Your child will receive a knowledge organiser‘getting to know your school’ and instructions on how to use cover, write, check to help your child familiarise themselves with their new secondary school and get used to how homework is set at St James.
- All new year 7s will be invited on a special trip to the Devon County Show as we believe it’s important to be involved in your local community.
- All new year 7s will be invited to a special transition residential trip to Bude to help you child make new friends, bond as a year group and learn key team building skills.
- Your child will take part in daily timetable enrichment whilst at St James as we believe they should have rich and diverse experiences.
- We will create a personalised active travel plan from your home to promote safe and sustainable travel to school, including bikeability training.